Family of Egyptian ‘prisoner of war’ killed in 1967 war sue Netanyahu
Remains Of October War Soldier - YOUM7 (Arvhive)
By

CAIRO: The family of an Egyptian captain who was killed in the 1967 Arab-Israeli war filed a lawsuit against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for allegedly murdering Egyptian prisoners of war, Youm7 reported Tuesday.

Lawyer Mamdouh Labib, Hossam, Salwa, Siham and Sumaia, siblings of late Captain Mohamed Labib, filed the civil case before North Cairo Court demanding a compensation of 10 million EGP ($1.2 million) from Israel.

The captain served in the Armored Corps, the lawyer said, claiming that he was killed as a prisoner of war.

The court is yet to decide whether it would consider the case.

The grounds of the lawsuit are based on there being no statute of limitations for war crimes, but Israel is neither party to the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court nor the Convention on the Non-Applicability of Statutory Limitations to War Crimes Against Humanity.

Otherwise, Israel’s Criminal Procedure Law stipulates that the gravest crime falls within a 20-year limitation period.

Egyptian newspapers reported in 1995, 2008 and 2010 that mass graves of Egyptian soldiers were discovered in Sinai, claiming they had been killed as prisoners of war in June 1967. In the reports, Bedouin witnesses said they saw Israeli troops shooting unarmed Egyptian soldiers.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment