CAIRO: Fifteen patients, allegedly contracted with H1N1 virus known as swine flu were quarantined in hospitals in North Sinai where a state of emergency was declared, a medical source said Friday.
Deputy Head of the health ministry directorate in North Sinai Tareq Khater told Youm7 that seven patients were transported to the Arish General Hospital while the other eight were admitted to Bir al-Abd Central Hospital.
“Blood samples from the patients were sent to the Cairo-based medical laboratories to confirm whether they were infected with the virus,” Khater added.
He confirmed that only one case died two days ago in the governorate, denying the rumors calming that three patients died at Arish General Hospital.
The Arish hospital director Dr. Ahmed Azmy previously reported that a state of emergency was declared among the governorate’s hospitals.
On Jan 2, a 45-five-year old H1N1patient died in Upper Egypt’s Aswan University Hospital.
In February 2014, swine flu resurfaced in Egypt as former Minister of Health Maha Rabat announced that a total 38 people died and hundreds were hospitalized nationwide.
In 2009, the World Health Organization (WHO) announced H1N1 virus a pandemic virus; Cairo ordered the culling of all pigs in the country.