Tripartite committee agrees on impact studies of Nile dam
Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam - AFP
By

CAIRO: The tripartite committee on the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GRED) has reached a unanimous agreement on the proposal submitted by the two French consultancy firms on GERD’s potential impact on Sudan and Egypt, Youm7 reported.

The committee, which concluded a four-day meeting in the Sudanese capital Khartoum Tuesday, will hold a news conference Thursday to announce the details of the joint memorandum related to the remarks of Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia on the technical proposal prepared by the two French consultancy firms.

During the conference, the committee will reveal the road map and the mechanism under which the two consultancy firms will carry out the joint study.

The conference will be attended by ministers of irrigation of Sudan, Egypt and Ethiopia to discuss the contract proposal prior to signing it, Youm7 reported.

During the four-day meetings, the committee received copies of the joint proposal submitted by the French Artelia and BRL groups. The recent round of talks between the three countries tackled the financial cost of the technical studies and ways to reach a unified proposal that reflects their views.

In December, the Artelia and BRL groups were selected to undertake the dam impact studies while The U.K.-based law firm Corbett & Co was selected to manage the committee’s legal affairs.

Artelia will conduct 70 percent of the studies while BRL group will conduct the remaining 30 percent, Egypt’s Water and Irrigation minister Hossam Moghazy told reporters Saturday.

The technical studies would be completed before the end of this year, said Moghazy.

The $4 billion dam is being constructed on the Blue Nile with a capacity of 74 billion cubic meters, and is expected to generate up to 6,000 megawatts of power.

Egypt has previously voiced its concern that the dam could reduce its annual share of over 56 billion cubic meters of Nile water. Addis Ababa, however, has claimed that the dam is necessary for its development, and will not harm downstream countries.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment