Rafah operates for 3rd day per presidential order
A Palestinian girl sits on a suitcase as she waits with her family for a travel permit to cross into Egypt, at the Rafah crossing between Egypt and the southern Gaza Strip, March 10, 2015. Egyptian authorities opened the Rafah border crossing on Monday for two days, officials said. Rafah is the only major crossing between impoverished Gaza, home to 1.8 million Palestinians, and the outside world that does not border Israel, which blockades the strip and allows passage mainly on humanitarian grounds. Egypt shut the crossing in October last year after Islamist militants in Egypt's adjacent Sinai region killed members of its security forces. Since then, it opened the crossing partially and on a few occasions to allow thousands of Palestinians to travel in and out of the Gaza Strip. REUTERS/Ibraheem Abu Mustafa (GAZA - Tags: SOCIETY IMMIGRATION POLITICS TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY)
By

CAIRO: President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi ordered the Rafah border between Egypt and Gaza Strip on Monday open for an extra day, due to a number of stranded Palestinians after hundreds traveled in both directions during the past two days, reported state-run news agency MENA Sunday.

The border was initially opened on Saturday for two days per Sisi’s decision, to allow Palestinian travelers in both directions.

An official source at the border was quoted by Youm7 saying that coordination between the Egyptian and Palestinian sides is ongoing to facilitate the trips in both directions during the two days.

On Saturday, the first day, a source said that some 595 traveled to Gaza, and around 726 others arrived in the Egyptian side, including patients, humanitarian cases, students and trucks carrying construction materials, according to Youm7.

Some 76 deported Palestinians were among the travelers who crossed to Gaza Strip on Sunday as they did not hold a visa or residential papers to stay in Egypt.

Some 45 trucks carrying around 4,145 tons of cement have crossed since Saturday to the strip to be used in reconstruction projects in Gaza.

The crossing has been re-operated exceptionally several times to facilitate the return of the Palestinian people. On Dec. 3, the crossing was reopened from the Palestine side and more than 2,000 passengers crossed.

The crossing has largely been closed since the 2013 ouster of President Mohamed Morsi amid Egyptian disagreements with Hamas and tense security situation in North Sinai.

Egypt’s closure of the crossing, however, began in 2007 after Hamas took over the strip. President Abdel Fatah al Sisi reiterated that regular opening of the border crossing depends on bringing the management under the Palestinian Authority’s control.

 

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment