Russian plane crash investigation extended to end of April
Relatives of victims of Metrojet's Airbus A-321 plane with registration number EI-ETJ that crashed in Egypt, mourn at Crowne Plaza hotel near Pulkovo airport in St. Petersburg, Russia, October 31, 2015.
By

CAIRO: Investigations into the Russian plane that crashed over Sinai late Oct. has been extended until Apr. 30, RIA Novosti quoted an investigator working on the case Thursday.

“The Russian airliner crash case has been reclassified to terrorist attack and submitted to the Investigative Committee’s special cases directorate for inquiry,” lawyer Igor Trunov told RIA Novosti.

Following a Russian plane crash that killed 224 passengers and crew late October, swift decisions were taken by a number of countries including Germany, Russia, France and the UK to evacuate their tourists from the resort town and suspend flights to Sharm-el-Sheikh after reports that a bomb may have been the cause.

However, Egypt says that an investigation into the incident has not yet decided the causes of the crash.

However, the Federal Security Service (FSB) chief, Alexander Bortnikov said earlier that a terrorist attack was the cause of the plane crash.

Following the crash, a militant group linked to Islamic State said in a statement that it had brought down the plane in response to Russian airstrikes in Syria.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment