CAIRO: A toddler was sentenced to 28 years in jail Tuesday for having set fire to a security building in Fayoum in 2014, despite his father having informed the court in 2014 that his son was 2 years old at the time of the crime.
Mansour Ahmed Ali, the father of 3 and a half year old Ahmed, told the Dream TV channel Saturday he was remanded for four months pending investigations in 2014 instead of his son; the 43-year-old father was released after he submitted his son’s birth certificate, proving that his son , Ahmed Mansour Ahmed Ali, was different from a wanted suspect, Ahmed Mansour Korani Sharara, a 16-year-old student.
The birth certificate, however, did not clear his name from the case, and the 3.5-year-old Ahmed was sentenced Tuesday in absentia to a total of 28 years in prison in two cases, charged with killing four people, setting fire to a Fayoum-based intelligence body, inciting violence, possessing an unlicensed gun, and burning a police car in 2014.
“I did not harm anyone, don’t take my child from me,” the father cried on the program.
Ministry of Interior Spokesperson Abu-Bakr al-Gendy told the program that the name was incorrectly written and the wanted man is the child’s uncle, Ahmed Kornai Ali.
The Egyptian Coalition on Children Rights (ECCR), told the Cairo Post previously that more than 600 minors, aged between 14 and 17, are being detained in a Central Security Forces camp in Banha, Delta; they have been charged with joining terrorist groups, blocking roads and assaulting police officers. Despite the Ministry of Interior’s denial, the ECCR confirmed that they filed a case against the ministry, and sent a report about the situation of minors.
In June, 2015, six minors were sentenced to 15 years in prison by an Alexandria military court over illegal protesting, torching and attacking public utilities in 2013.