9 health ministry officials stand trial over ‘invalid’ rehydration solution
Egyptian health minister Ahmed Emad Eldin - YOUM7
By

CAIRO: The Administrative Prosecution Authority has referred nine officials at the Health Ministry to trial over involvement in a deal to import rehydration solution, reportedly invalid for local consumption, that caused deaths among children last year, Youm7 reported Saturday.

In July 2015, a rehydration solution was blamed for the death of at least eight children at a hospital in Upper Egypt’s Beni Suef governorate.

Dozens of children suffered similar symptoms of convulsions, continuous vomiting and fainting after they were given the rehydration solution as supportive measure to their fever.

Official statements at that time said that the symptoms are at normal rate due to hot weather witnessed in Egypt.

Former Spokesperson for Health Ministry Hossam Abdel Ghaffar previously told The Cairo Post that the blamed solution was part of a new patch delivered to hospitals in July. After complaints, the ministry halted the use of the solution and ordered the closure of a pharmaceutical company accused of selling the drug.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment