CAIRO: A center will be established to preserve the bodies of unidentified persons, which might help with cases of “forced disappearance,” head of the Forensic Authority Hesham Abdel Hameed told Youm7 Wednesday.
On average, Zenhom Morgue, Egypt’s main autopsy center, receives 340 unidentified bodies a year; half of which are buried in charity graveyards, Abdel Hameed said.
The bodies are buried after pictures of them are taken, and their fingerprints and DNA are documented.
The new center will allow keeping the bodies for as long as possible in hopes that someone will search for the deceased person, as well as contribute to finding persons reported to have disappeared, Abdel Hameed added.
The Scientific Research Academy will fund the project, according to Abdel Hameed.
Earlier in March, the Forensic Authority announced it would establish a clinic to handle victims of sex crimes with female medical staff.
The authority has also embarked on a project to build a much larger morgue in Badr City near Cairo, as Zenhom Morgue failed to accommodate dead bodies in times of crises where it received large numbers of corpses in a limited time.
During the January 25 Revolution in 2011 and following protests, and in Islamists demonstrations after the 2013 ouster of President Mohamed Morsi, Zenhom Morgue officials were overwhelmed by the number of bodies, sometimes leaving bodies outside until they finish the autopsy of bodies inside and release them.
In 2012 and 2015, the morgue also received large numbers of bodies of football fans who were killed in stampede and clashes.