CAIRO: Up to 5,000 fans will be allowed to attend Zamalek’s encounter against Algeria’s Mouloudia Olympique de Béjaïa in the round of 16 of the CAF Champions League, scheduled for April 9 at PetroSport Stadium, the Egyptian Football Association (EFA) executive director Tharwat Sweilam said Saturday.
The decision follows an approval from Egypt’s Interior Ministry, Sweilam said.
The second leg of the game is scheduled to take place on April 19 at Algeria’s Unité Maghrébine Stadium.
Zamalek have qualified to the round of 16 of the 2016 CAF Champions League, after defeating Union Douala 2-0 at Petrosport Stadium on March 19.
The EFA and the Interior Ministry decided to hold football games behind closed doors shortly after the last year’s Air Defense stadium disaster in which over 20 fans were killed in a stampede after being teargassed by police while entering the stadium.
In November, the (EFA) said in a statement it is developing a new system for the return of spectators during Premier League matches.
“The federation, in coordination with ministers of youth and interior, is considering hiring a private security company to secure football matches at stadiums across Egypt,” the federation spokesperson Mahmoud al-Shami was quoted by Youm7.
Egypt’s 2012-2013 football season was cancelled due to the 30 June protests that toppled Islamist President Mohamed Morsi.