Paris attack suspect arrested, may be `man in the hat': Belgian media
Snapshot
By

Mohamed Abrini, who was wanted for November’s Islamic State attacks in Paris, has been arrested in Brussels, Belgian public broadcasters said on Friday, adding that Abrini was probably involved in last month’s Brussels bombings.

Abrini, a 31-year-old Belgian, was “more than likely” the “man in the hat” seen on security camera footage at Brussels airport on March 22 with two suicide bombers, VRT and RTBF said on their websites, citing unidentified sources.

Public prosecutors confirmed in a brief statement only that police had made several arrests related to the Brussels attacks. They scheduled a news conference for 9:30 p.m. (1930 GMT).

If confirmed, the arrests would mark a success for Belgian security services, which have faced fierce criticism at home and abroad since Brussels-based militants organized the attacks that killed 130 in Paris on Nov. 13.

The arrests came a day after police issued new images and detail on the “man in the hat”. They follow the arrest in Brussels on March 18 of a key surviving suspect in the Paris attacks, Salah Abdeslam. He was seen driving with Abrini towards Paris two days before the Paris attacks.

 

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment