Egypt foreign ministry says not notified about recalling Italian Ambassador
Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Ahmed Abu Zeid. YOUM7 (archive)
By

CAIRO: Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Ahmed Abu Zeid said Egypt “has not been formally notified” about recalling the Italian ambassador to Egypt for consultations over the death of student Giulio Regeni in Cairo.

“The ministry awaits the return of the Egyptian investigative team to hear its evaluation of the meetings.”

On Friday, Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni said he will recall Italian Ambassador to Cairo Maurizio Massari for “an urgent evaluation of more opportune initiatives to relaunch the commitment aimed at determining the truth about the barbarous murder of Giulio Regeni,” a ministry statement said.

The move came hours after Italian and Egyptian investigators concluded on Friday two-day meetings to review the results of probe carried out by Egyptian prosecutors over the brutal killing of Italian student Giulio Regeni.

A five-member Egyptian team, comprised of two judges and three police officers
The visit of the Egyptian investigation team, which comprised of two judges and three police officers, came after Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni last week threatened to impose “immediate and proportionate”measures against Egypt if it does not cooperate in uncovering the truth behind Regeni’s murder.

During the Thursday meeting, the Egyptian team handed over a 2,000-page report with testimonies from 200 people regarding the probe, according to ANSA.

The two-day meetings were held at a police academy in Rome and attended by Italian top prosecutor Giuseppe Pignatone.

Regeni, 28, disappeared on 25 January before his body, with signs of torture, was found a week later.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment