CAIRO: An estimated 35 million EGP ($3.9 million) will be needed for reconstruction works in Ofouna village that was damaged by 2015 floods, Beheira governor Mohamed Sultan told Youm7 Monday.
Sultan added that 14 million EGP ($1.5 million) has been spent so far, and 35 percent of the first phase, which includes building 38 new houses, has been accomplished.
Sultan said the whole project aims to build around 96 new houses on 14 feddans of state-owned lands in safe areas away from flood course.
Work in the project is in “full swing,” said Sultan, who noted that the village will be supported with all facilities, including drinking water, sanitation, power, post office, a school, medical units and paved roads.
He also praised the role of businessmen and charity persons in funding the initiative to reconstruct the village, in coordination with the governorate and the northern military region.
Pictures of the accumulated rain water covering Ofouna village in Beheira were circulated last November, with reports the floods left dozens of casualties.
The crisis embarrassed the government, which acknowledged its “failure” to deal with the crisis that hit the country at that time and left similar damages in the Mediterranean city of Alexandria.
In Beheira, hundreds of schools were shut down after water swept into classrooms, and swathes of farmland were also damaged by the heavy showers.
Additional reporting by Gamal Abu el-Fadl