CAIRO: The Egyptian Interior Ministry denied Thursday media reports claiming that Italian student Guilio Regini, who was tortured and murdered in Egypt, had been detained by police on the day he disappeared.
In an official statement released Thursday, the ministry’s spokesperson said claims about the detention of Italian researcher Giulio Regeni by the police or any other state authority and his transfer to a police facility were “unfounded and had no basis in truth. ”
On Thursday, Reuters published news, based on testimony of anonymous police sources, saying that Regeni “had been detained by police and then transferred to a compound run by Homeland Security the day he vanished.”
“The ministry warns it could take legal action against those who spread false news,” according to the statement.
Chairman of the State Information Service (SIS) Ambassador Salah Abdel Sadek said he is currently in contact with officials at Reuters office in Cairo to investigate the statements and identify the police official who made the testimony, Youm7 reported.
In late March, the Interior Ministry announced it had killed members of a gang who allegedly impersonated police and had kidnapped foreigners, and announced that they had found Regini’s personal effects, including contents of his bag and a student ID card, with the gang. Family members of the allegedly gang were also killed, and the state has released no further information.