CAIRO: A bomb detonated in Egypt’s volatile North Sinai late Friday, leaving a conscript dead and three others injured on, security source told Youm7.
The bomb struck and armored vehicle while security forces were sweeping the area by Kharouba east of North Sinai’s city od Arish, said the source.
The injured conscripts were transferred to a nearby hospital while security forces combed the area for the attackers, he added.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, which is the latest in a string of attacks on security forces and military institutions in Egypt’s restive Sinai Peninsula.
Egypt has witnessed a significant rise in militancy since the military-backed ouster of Islamist President Mohamed Morsi in July 2013 following mass protests against his rule. According to the Interior Ministry, militant attacks have killed more than 500 security personnel since then.
Earlier this month, three police conscripts were killed and 13 others injured after unidentified assailants hit a convoy with a rocket-propelled grenade in North Sinai, the Interior Ministry announced.
The Egyptian armed forces launched a major offensive against the jihadists in September, claiming it killed scores in an attempt to restore order in the peninsula which borders Israel and the Gaza Strip.