Bodies of Egyptians killed in Libya to be repatriated Wed.: FM spox
Cairo International Airport - YOUM7/Sami Waheeb
By

CAIRO: The nine bodies of Egyptian citizens who were killed in Libya last week will be flown back home Wednesday, Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Ahmed Abu Zeid announced in a statement Wednesday.

The move came amid ongoing coordination between Libya’s presidential council and the Egyptian embassy in Tripoli, whose operations are in Cairo due to the unstable security situation in the Libyan capital, said Abu Zeid.

The Egyptian Embassy to Libya has identified nine out of the 13 Egyptians who were killed last week in the Libyan city of Beni Walid in clashes with members of smuggling gangs last week, Abou Zaid said in a statement Tuesday.

Thirteen Egyptians were killed and one injured in the incident, in addition to seven others who are currently being interrogated by the Libyan authorities, according to the statement.

It is unclear what was being smuggled. On Sunday, Attorney General Nabil Sadek ordered “extended investigations” into the incident.

Egyptian authorities have warned several times against traveling to Libya where a state of chaos has prevailed since the former Libyan president Muammar al-Gaddafi was ousted in 2011. Islamists are controlling the northern parts of the country while the internationally recognized government is located in Tobruk city on Libya’s eastern Mediterranean coast.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment