FIFA prosecutors want life ban for Webb in bribery case
Former FIFA vice president Alfredo Hawit leaves federal court Monday, April 11, 2016, in the Brooklyn borough of New York. Hawit has pleaded guilty to four conspiracy counts in the sweeping FIFA bribery scandal over lucrative broadcast rights. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)
By

ZURICH: FIFA ethics prosecutors want a life ban imposed on former FIFA vice president Jeffrey Webb, who has pleaded guilty to racketeering charges in the United States.

The judging chamber of the FIFA ethics committee says it opened proceedings against Webb and will consider a verdict.

The ethics committee says it got a final investigation report last week from FIFA prosecutors.

In November, Webb admitted to taking bribes worth millions of dollars linked to commercial rights for international soccer tournaments.

The former Cayman Islands banker should be sentenced in federal court in Brooklyn next month. He faces up to 20 years in prison.

Webb was president of the CONCACAF soccer body when he was arrested on May 27 at the Baur au Lac hotel in Zurich.

 

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment