CAIRO: An Italian investigative team is scheduled to arrive in Cairo Sunday to resume joint probe with Egyptian counterparts into the murder of Italian student Giulio Regeni, according to Italian news agency ANSA.
The Italian team’s travel to Cairo comes in response to an invitation from Egypt’s Attorney General Nabil Sadek. The Italian and Egyptian investigators are expected to examine developments in the probe since an April summit in Rome ended in failure.
Egypt has handed over the mobile phone records of the head of a street vendors union to Italian investigators who are looking into case, a legal source told Reuters Friday.
Italy has complained of a lack of cooperation from Cairo in getting to the bottom of the case after Regeni’s mutilated body was found in a ditch on the road to Alexandria on Feb.3.
Italy last month recalled its ambassador to Egypt for consultations to protest what it said was the slow pace of the investigation and the perceived lack of cooperation. Italian investigators are due to fly to Cairo on Sunday for talks with their Egyptian counterparts.