Dead body of Egyptian national killed in Napoli arrives in Cairo
Mohamed Baher Sobhy
By

CAIRO: Cairo International Airport received Saturday the dead body of an Egyptian national who was killed in Italy last month, airport officials told Youm7.

Mohamed Baher Sobhy, 32, was found dead on a railway track in Napoli, Italy on May 3 with signs of trauma to his head and jaw, according to statement by the Egyptian Foreign Ministry. Initial information indicates that Sobhy arrived in Italy illegally in 2006. His passport and conscription certificate were found with his body, according to the statement.

Sobhy’s relatives were awaiting the arrival of his body, which is to be buried in his hometown in Menoufia governorate.

It is scheduled that Egyptian Forensics will carry out an autopsy on the body to confirm if Sobhy was killed by being hit by a train as Italian authorities said.

Meanwhile, an Italian investigative team is scheduled to arrive in Cairo Sunday to resume a joint investigation with Egyptian authorities into the murder of Italian student Giulio Regeni, according to Italian news agency ANSA.

The body of Regeni, 28, was found in early February with signs of torture; he had been doing research on labor unions in Egypt.

Italy last month recalled its ambassador to Egypt for consultations to protest what it said was the slow pace of the investigation and the perceived lack of cooperation.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment