2 held over Cairo building fire, Ghouria blaze possibly due to short circuit
Fire at Cairo governorate building
By

CAIRO: Two men were arrested over suspicions of causing a fire in the Cairo governorate headquarters Thursday, while witnesses told the prosecution the Tuesday fire in Ghouria was caused by a short circuit at a stall selling liver sandwiches, Youm7 reported.

The prosecution of al-Darb al-Ahmar heard seven witnesses thus far. They said the stall owner connected electricity to the stand from a light pole, which resulted in the gas cylinder attached to the stall catching fire, subsequently causing an explosion.

The fire spread quickly through the area, which is full of vendors selling fabric.

The Ghouria fire was preceded by another massive fire in Cairo’s Ataba Monday. The two fires resulted in major losses and damages, with the government vowing to compensate those affected.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment