Suicide car bomb kills at least 20 army recruits in Yemen’s Aden
Smoke rises from the site of a Saudi-led air strike in Yemen's capital Sanaa September 18, 2015. The air raids by a Saudi-led coalition have intensified in recent weeks as a Gulf Arab ground force and fighters loyal to exiled President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi prepare a campaign to recapture Sanaa, seized by the Houthis in September 2014. REUTERS/Khaled Abdullah
By

ADEN:  A suicide car bomb killed at least 20 army recruits and injured dozens of others in the Yemeni city of Aden on Monday, medics and local officials said, in another militant attack on the beleaguered government.

Another blast shortly afterwards at a nearby army base killed and injured several more people, local officials said.

The first attack occurred as the recruits lined up to enlist for military service at the home of a senior general in the Khor Maksar district of Aden.

The port city serves as the temporary capital of Yemen’s Saudi-backed administration while it seeks to seize back the capital Sanaa from the armed Houthi group.

Local news website Aden al-Ghad showed pictures of soldiers picking up bloodied comrades in uniform from the ground and witnesses reported seeing ambulances with blaring sirens collecting the wounded from the scene.

The attacks follow gains by Yemeni forces backed by the United Arab Emirates, who mounted an offensive against al Qaeda militants in towns on the south coast beginning last month.

Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) has taken advantage of chaos in Yemen since its civil war began last year to win control over swathes of southern and eastern Yemen.

Yemeni forces pushed them out of the base in the southeastern port city of Mukalla and have stepped up a crackdown on militants, killing sixteen in a raid outside the city backed up by Gulf Arab helicopters on Sunday.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment