Wrap up of what happened in Egypt June 14
Policemen investigate the site of a car bomb attack on the convoy of Egyptian public prosecutor Hisham Barakat near his house at Heliopolis district in Cairo, June 29, 2015.
By

CAIRO: No more browsing from site to site, view the top news of Egypt here:

 

Business:

Egypt stock market ends lower on Tuesday

Egypt stock market ended lower on Tuesday with market capitalization losses worth 3.7 billion EGP ($411m.) Its main index EGX30 declined by 0.01 percent.

Egypt deficit of trade balance declines by 44.4% in March: CAPMAS

Egypt’s balance of trade deficit declined by 44.4 percent in March 2016 recording 19.9 billion EGP ($ 2.2 billion,) compared to 35.7 billion EGP ($4 billion) in March 2015, said the Central Agency for Public Mobilization and Statistics (CAPMAS) Tuesday.

ICC rejects a lawsuit calls Egypt’s EGAS to pay $270 million

An Attribution Panel at the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) has rejected a lawsuit filed by the SEGAS Liquefied Natural Gas Complex against the government’s Egyptian Natural Gas Holding Company (EGAS) over a dispute about penalty clauses worth at U.S$270 million, according to a statement from the Egyptian Ministry of Petroleum Tuesday.

Local:

Court adjourns trial of 67 defendants accused of killing Egypt’s top prosecutor

Cairo Criminal Court adjourned to July 13 the trial of 67 defendants accused of killing Attorney General Hisham Barakat. The adjournment came during the first session of the trial on Tuesday. Barakat was killed in a car bomb explosion in June 2015 nearby his house in Cairo’s district of Heliopolis.

Parliament committee grants Sisi temporary power to reshuffle Higher Press Council

The Media ‎and Culture Committee at Egypt’s House of Representatives has endorsed a proposal submitted by 324 MPS which gives President Abdel Fatah al Sisi a temporary right to form and reshuffle the Higher Press Council for one term until the media and press law is passed by the parliament.

Trial kicks off Tuesday in Top prosecutor’s assassination case

A year has passed since a car bomb attack has targeted the Public prosecutor Hisham Barakat’s convoy, causing his death and a number of civilians injured. Tuesday, 67 defendants; 16 of them are absentee, will be standing the first court hearing in the case as they face charges of: joining terrorist groups inside and outside the country, spying for Palestinian Movement Hamas, premeditated murder and weapon possession.

Politics:

Court sets June 21 to rule on Red Sea Island agreement

The Administrative Court on Tuesday has set June 21 for hearing on the trial over the controversial demarcation agreement that acknowledged Saudi Arabia’s sovereignty over the Red Sea islands of Tiran and Sanafir, Youm7 reported.

The lawsuit was filed by former presidential candidate Khaled Ali, who demanded the annulment of the agreement.

Egypt condemns Paris attack

The Egyptian Foreign Ministry condemned the recent attack that killed a police commander and his partner at their home outside Paris in the presence of their three-year-old son Monday, ministry spokesperson Ahmed Abu Zeid said in a statement.

52 people acquitted of disrupting social peace after detention over April 25 protests

A total of 52 people who had been detained for protesting the transfer of the two Red Sea islands Tiran and Sanafir to Saudi Arabia in downtown Cairo on April 25 were acquitted Tuesday.

Social:

Textiles Museum registers higher turnout in new evening opening

The Textiles Museum has been open in the evening since the beginning of Ramadan, recording a higher visitor turnout than in the morning, head of the Museums Sector Ilham Salah told Youm7.

After the anticipated success of opening a museum in the evening, Salah will file an approval request to the culture minister to keep the museum open for a night shift through the year and possibly do the same with other museums.

Friday cultural event at al-Zawia al-Hamra Library

The General Organization of Cultural Places will hold a large event at al-Zawia al-Hamra Library in Cairo on Friday at 9 p.m. with a number of cultural and artistic shows.

The event includes a folkloric music show, religious choir, and songs inspired by the heritage of every Egyptian governorate.

Sports:

Ahly stumble against Masry in five-goal thriller to blow title race wide open

Ahly wasted a chance to edge closer to the Egyptian league title after Monday’s 3-2 loss to bitter rivals Masry on Monday.

Stoke City: Wanted man Ramadan Sobhi ‘can eclipse Marko Arnautovic’ says Egypt legend Mido – stokesentinel.com

STOKE City target Ramadan Sobhi has the potential to be better than Marko Arnautovic, says former Egypt and Tottenham star Mido.

The Potters are believed to have tabled an initial £2m offer for highly-rated 19-year-old left winger Sobhi, who last year became Egypts’s youngest ever player after Mido.

His current club Al Ahly are understood to be reluctant to sell this summer, but mounting interest may force their hand.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment