UPDATE: Egypt’s local news digest July 28:Court bans pro-Morsi movement
Ousted president Mohamed Morsi with Muslim Brotherhood leaders inside a dock - REUTERS/Stringer
By

 

CAIRO: No more browsing from site to site, view the top local news stories on July 28 here:

 

Court bans pro-Morsi movement

Cairo Court of Urgent Matters on Thursday banned the “Women Against the Coup” movement, which was created following the ouster of former President Mohamed Morsi, Youm7 reported

The ruling came after lawyer Asraf Farahat filed a lawsuit demanding the ban of the movement “over inciting against the state’s institution.”

The group was formed after Morsi’s ouster following a mass protest against his rule in 30 June 2013.

 

Egypt convicts top anti-corruption official of ‘false news’

(AP)-An Egyptian court has convicted the country’s former top anti-corruption official of “spreading false news,” sentencing him to a year in prison and a fine of 20,000 Egyptian pounds ($2,250) which, if paid along with an additional 10,000 pounds, will allow him to avoid incarceration.

Judge Haitham el-Saghair passed the Thursday verdict against former chief auditor Hesham Genena, who had alleged that massive corruption had cost the country billions of dollars.

Genena had led the Central Auditing Organization until he was dismissed by a decree from Egypt’s general-turned politician President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi last March.

Genena alleged last year that corruption had cost the country 600 billion pounds ($67.6 billion).

 

Egypt’s 1st pilgrims batch to depart for Saudi Arabia late August: minister

The first batch of Egyptian pilgrims will leave to Saudi Arabia on August 29, Social Solidarity Minister Ghada Wali was quoted by Youm7 Thursday.

A total of 10,000 Egyptians are scheduled to perform Hajj (pilgrimage) this year over the course of 26 days, said Wali.

Every year, Egypt is granted a certain number if visas for the Hajj to be distributed through tourism companies, the interior and social solidarity ministries.

                                                 

3 “dangerous terrorists” killed in Sinai: interior ministry

Three “dangerous terrorists” were killed in a blast in North Sinai’s town of al-Arish on Wednesday, the Egyptian Interior Ministry announced in a statement.

The three were killed after an explosive device, they planted on the Ring Road, has detonated killed them, said the statement.

Among the three killed was the brother of a terrorist involved in a series of bombings that hit the Red Sea resort cities of Taba in 2006, said the statement, adding that the two others are involved in planting explosives in al-Arish that target police vehicles and the armed forces.

Cairo sees highs of 36°C Thursday

Cairo is expected to see a hot and humid weather on Thursday, with the temperature reaching highs of 36°C and lows of 25°C, Youm7 quoted forecasters.

 

Policeman, 5 conscripts injured in vehicle turnover

A policeman and five conscripts were injured after their armored vehicle flipped over on the road in Abu Shusha Village in Upper Egypt’s governorate of Qena, Youm7 reported.

The injured are suffering different types of burns and mild bruises.

 

Hep C waiting lists ended; 580K patients cured: Minister

Minister of Health Ahmed Emad el-Din announced the end of waiting lists of Hepatitis C patients.

He said in TV statements that a total of 580,000 hepatitis C patients have been cured so far with estimated cost of 2.6 billion EGP.

El-Din noted that the treatment program has been on state expenses with a total coast of 2.07 billion EGP and per medical insurance system that is worth 591 million EGP.

He also stated that percentage of success of the treatment using the locally produced version of Sovaldi medicine has reached 97 percent.

 

Compound residents protest against sexual assault of young child

A number of residents of a compound in 6 of October city, Giza, have gathered condemning a private security guard’s sexual assault of a young child, Youm7 reported early Thursday.

The guard was arrested and referred to the prosecution to be investigated.

Security forces then tried to convince the protesting residents to disperse their gathering.

 

54K tons deficit in supply wheat silos in Delta’s Sharqia: fact-finding committee

A fact-finding committee that has been tasked to track deficiency in supply wheat across the nation revealed a deficit of 54,371 tons (worth 152.2 million EGP,) in wheat silos in Delta’s Sharqiah governorate.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment