UPDATE: Egypt’s local news digest Aug. 7: Egypt’s PM orders health ministry to carry out national Virus C survey
Egyptian health minister Ahmed Emad Eldin - YOUM7
By

 

CAIRO: No more browsing from site to site, view the top local news stories on August 7 here:

Egypt’s PM orders health ministry to carry out national Virus C survey

Prime Minister Sherif Ismail decided that the health ministry will develop and carry out a national plan to survey virus c patients across the country, the state TV reported on Sunday.

The plan aims to target the early detection, provide early treatment of the virus and to increase the efficiency of infection control units in hospitals and ministry facilities nationwide, Ismail said.

Egypt has the highest prevalence of hepatitis C all over the world with an infection rate of 10 to 14 percent, according to a report issued by the World Health Organization in 2015.

 

Siemens 1st power plant to operate in December: PM

The first Siemens power plant in Egypt will operate in December at a capacity of 4,440 mega watts; Youm7 quoted Prime Minister Sherif Ismail on Sunday.

The power plant is one of three in an eight billion Euro contract Egypt signed with Siemens in June 2015 will add 16.4 gigawatts of capacity to the country’s grid and expected to increase its power generation capacity by 50 per cent.

The other two plants will operate at full capacity by May 2018, according to Sherif.

 

Industry ministry to launch youth employment program in Luxor

Ministry of Trade and Industry will launch an employment program for youths in Upper Egypt’s governorate of Luxor on Thursday, according to the state TV on Sunday.

The program is organized by the ministry, government officials and the United Nations Industrial Development Organization.

The program aims to provide solutions to address youth unemployment in Upper Egypt through enhancing the employability and entrepreneurship and enabling new innovative employment opportunities.

 

Prosecution renews detention of 8 brotherhood members over violence charges

The Gharbiya prosecution on Sunday renewed the detention of eight people; allegedly belong to the Muslim Brotherhood group for 15 days pending investigations over violence incitement charges, Youm7 reported.

The defendants were arrested last week in Gharbiya’s cities of Mahalla, Zefti and Samanoud. They face numerous charges including inciting riots, harming the social peace and joining a group banned by law.

 

Families of Copts kidnapped in Libya postpone protest

Families of Egyptian Copts who were kidnapped in Libya have delayed their protest Sunday until they receive official police permit in accordance to the 2013 Protest Law.

A number of families were scheduled to demonstrate outside the headquarters of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Sunday, to demand authorities to bring back their sons who were abducted by militias in Libya.

Ayman Nageh, the brother of one of the kidnapped workers, said his brother disappeared a year ago in Libya and that his kidnappers contacted the family and threatened to kill him.

Meanwhile, Youm7 quoted early Sunday Libyan local media outlets as saying that 23 Egyptian workers were kidnapped by a group of militants on their way to the Libyan-Egyptian border.

 

“Children without Shelter” kicks off soon in 10 governorates

The Ministry of Social Solidarity announced that a project called “Children Without Shelter” will kick off by the end of August in 10 governorates, Youm7 reported.

The total cost of the project reaches 114 million EGP in coordination with 27 civil associations.

The ministry has chosen 10 governorates that hosts the highest number of homeless children estimated at 80 percent of that present across the country.

 

47 arrested at Sallum over illegal immigration

Border guards have thwarted an attempt by 47 unregistered migrants to illegally travel to Libya through desert routes, Youm7 reported.

The migrants included Egyptians, Sudanese and Syrians; they were all arrested and referred to specialized prosecution.

Such arrests occur on a near-daily basis as hundreds of migrants are busted at Egypt’s western border with Libya ‘Sallum,’ as well as in Nile Delta’s cities before sailing to Europe.

The Egyptian government has warned nationals against traveling to Libya due to prevailing security vacuum amid spread of Islamist militias. However, many flow into the city, searching for better life and source of living.

 

Egypt needs 18 mln EGP to solve slum crisis: Deputy Minister

Egypt needs between 16-18 billion EGP to build housing units for slum areas residents, Deputy Housing Minister Ahmed Darwish said in TV statements.

Darwish added to Sky News TV that residents will be located in the new housing units within two years, adding that a total of 60 families will benefit from the second phase of the housing program.

 

Summer discount on clothing kicks off Monday: Ministry of Supply

The Ministry of Supply, in coordination with the General Union of Chambers of Commerce, has announced the beginning of a summer discount on all types of clothing and goods starting from Monday, and is expected to last for a month, Youm7 reported.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment