Update – Egypt’s local news digest Aug. 28: Administrative Control Authority submits recommendations of governors
Former Grand Mufti Sheikh Ali Gomaa during a press conference at his home after assassination attempt Friday, August 5, 2016. Photo by Amr Mostafa/Youm7

CAIRO: No more browsing from site to site, view the top business news stories on August 28 here:

Administrative Control Authority submits recommendations of governors

The Administrative Control Authority has sent its recommendations of public figures to assume the position of governors to the presidency and the cabinet in preparation for a new reshuffle in governorates, Youm7 reported Sunday.

Security raids “terrorist hub” frequented by perpetrators of Ali Gomaa’s failed assassination

Security forces raided a “terrorist hub” in Assalam area of Cairo believed to have been frequented by the suspected assailants who attempted to assassinate former Mufti Ali Gomaa, Youm7 reported Sunday.

More than 50 private schools warned by Education Ministry

More than 50 private schools have received warning from Education Minister al-Helaly al-Sherbiny over violations, he told reporters Sunday. A total of 27 international schools in Egypt were previously warned by the Education Ministry against charging extra fees, violating their own internal statutes, accepting extra students and not applying for work permits for foreign staff.

The Education Ministry has already closed three international schools, the German School in Luxor, the Leaders School in Kerdasa and the Heliopolis School in Alexandria, for operating without a permit.

After the police opened an investigation recently into Futures International School in Cairo over alleged sexual assaults of children, the ministry began a crackdown on international schools to make sure they abide by the law.

 

17 killed in separate road accidents Sunday

At least 17 people were killed and dozens injured in two different traffic accidents that took place Sunday morning, according to Youm7.

The first one took place on the Sohag International Airport Road when a microbus collided with a car resulting in 10 deaths and four injuries.

The second one occurred when a microbus and a truck crashed on Cairo-Asyut Road, leaving four dead and 13 injured.

Three others were reportedly killed in two other accidents in Suez and Beheira; the injured were immediately taken to nearby hospitals for treatment.

Many Egyptians die on the road as thousands of accidents take place every year. Lack of road safety measures in Egypt has been blamed by experts for the fatal crashes; however, officials say human error constitute main reason.

Two years ago, Egypt has embarked on a number of projects including applying maintenance to dilapidated bridges, construct new roads and launching drug-driving tests to truck drivers and school bus drivers.

 

172K poor families added to state health care program

The Ministry of Solidarity announced adding a total of 172,000 families from Upper Egypt’s Qena to a governmental health care program, Youm7 reported.

The program aims to provide medical services like: checkups, surgeries and organ transplant free of charge to low-income people.

 

Resigned minister’s fortunes under scrutiny amid wheat corruption probe

An anonymous judicial source said that monitory bodies were assigned to inquire about the fortune of the resigned Supply Minister Khaled Hanafy, who left his position amid investigations into subsidized wheat corruption case.

The inquiry has been requested by judicial authorities aiming to know whether the ex-minister has used his influence to achieve ill-gotten gains.

 

16 arrested at Sallum border over attempted illegal immigration to Libya

Sallum border guards thwarted an attempt by 16 unregistered migrants to illegally cross into Libya territories, Youm7 reported.

The people were all Egyptians from eight different governorates; they were stopped while attempting to use desert routes to leave for the oil-rich state.

Despite governmental repeated warnings of security vacuum in Libya; hundreds of migrants are still being arrested trying to reach the Libyan side, risking a perilous journey in search for better life.

 

Cabinet approves draft law to harshen FGM penalty

Cabinet has approved a draft law to harshen the penalty of committing Female Genital Mutilation (FGM,) considering the act as a felony instead of misdemeanor, Deputy Health Minister Maysa Shawky.

Shawky told Youm7 that a governmental program has managed to reduce the rate of the practice in the age brackets (15-49 years) to 92 percent.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment