UPDATE: Egypt’s politics digest Sept. 9: Egypt voices concern over N. Korea nuclear test
A North Korean long-range rocket is launched into the air at the Sohae rocket launch site, North Korea
By

 

CAIRO: No more browsing from site to site, view the top politics news stories on Sept. 9 here:

Egypt voices concern over N. Korea nuclear test

The Egyptian Foreign Ministry denounced North Korea’s fifth nuclear test, urging it to meet its commitments with regard to nuclear disarmament.

Foreign Ministry spokesperson Ahmed Abu Zeid, expressed Egypt’s “serious” concern after North Korea announced a fifth nuclear test success, stressing that “this procedure represents a new threat to the nuclear non-proliferation treaty, and weakens the efforts of establishing a global treaty to prevent nuclear proliferation, which aims to establish global peace.”

“That the continuation of the nuclear tests conducted by North Korea increases tension, arms race and instability on the Korean Peninsula and the Pacific,” said Abu Zeid.

On Friday, North Korea has confirmed it has conducted its fifth nuclear test, announcing it is now capable of mounting nuclear warheads on ballistic rockets, the North Korean news agency reported on Friday.

 

Attorney General hands over report on Regeni’s last phone calls to Italian investigators

Egyptian Attorney General Nabil Sadek has handed over to Italian investigators a complete report on an examination of mobile phone tracking that covers the areas of Regeni’s disappearance and the discovery of his body, Youm7 reported on Friday.

A delegation of Egyptian investigators headed by Sadek travelled to Rome on Wednesday to meet Rome Chief Prosecutor Giuseppe Pignatone to present new information to reveal the mystery behind the death of Giulio Regeni, the Italian research student who was tortured and murdered in Cairo.

In February, Sadek received mobile tracking reports from an Egyptian mobile company showing that Regeni’s last phone call was on Jan. 25, 2016 with his Italian friend “Genaro”, a judicial source told Ahram Online on Sunday.

 

Group urges Egypt to enact penalties for female circumcision

(AP)-A leading international rights group on Friday called on Egypt to enact new and harsher legal penalties for the widespread practice of female genital mutilation.

The appeal by Human Rights Watch came over a week after the Egyptian parliament voted in favor of toughening penalties for FGM, adopting amendments that will punish perpetrators with 15 years in prison if a child dies and up to seven years for performing the procedure.

 

Egypt investigators recreate how Russian plane disintegrated over Sinai

(Reuters): Investigators have pieced together the remains of a Russian plane that crashed in October over Sinai and established the point at which its disintegration likely began, the Egyptian-led investigative committee said on Thursday.

Islamic State said it brought down the plane with a bomb smuggled inside a fizzy drink can. Russia and Western governments said a bomb destroyed the plane and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said the cause was terrorism; but investigators have yet to confirm this.

Reassembling the wreckage would help clarify the Islamic State account of events and how any explosives might have been secreted aboard.

The Airbus A321, operated by Metrojet, had been returning Russian holidaymakers from the Egyptian Red Sea resort of Sharm al-Sheikh to St Petersburg when it broke up over Sinai, killing all 224 on board.

“The committee has concluded that a specific part is the one most likely to have been situated where the plane began to come apart,” a committee statement said.

 

Tunisia delegation praises Egypt’s safety, security status

A Tunisian delegation to Egypt said that the country’s security and safe status enhances more cooperation between both countries, Youm7 reported.

Khaled el-Bakoush, the head of the delegation that was visiting the Egyptian parliament’s headquarters Thursday, added that the delegation will promote Egypt’s stance in Tunisia.

 

Group claims responsibility for killing of Cairo police officer

A group called “Hasm Movement” claimed responsibility for the killing of a low-ranking police officer in Cairo’s southern city of 6 October on Thursday, Youm7 reported.

Salah Mohamed, the policeman, was killed in his car on way to work in a police station in the 6 October City on Thursday afternoon.

The group has published pictures of the killing on its Facebook page.

It also claimed responsibility for the attempted assassination of Egypt’s former Mufti Ali Gomaa that took place last month before the religious cleric gives Friday sermon.

Egypt has witnessed a significant rise in militancy since the military-backed ouster of Islamist President Mohamed Morsi in July 2013 following mass protests against his rule. According to the Interior Ministry, militant attacks have killed more than 500 security personnel since then.

 

4 militants killed, 12 terrorist hubs destroyed in N. Sinai

A security source in North Sinai said that four militants were killed and 12 terrorist hubs were destroyed amid security operation over the past few hours, according to Youm7.

On the other hand, Arish hospital received three residents killed after a missile fall on a South Arish home.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment