CAIRO: No more browsing from site to site, view the top local news stories on Sept. 22 here:
Mallawi museum opens after 3-yeear renovation
Antiquities Minister Khaled el Enany on Thursday has inaugurated the Malawi National Museum after more than three-year renovation work has been completed, the antiquities ministry announced in a statement.
The museum was looted following the 2013 deadly dispersal of a sit in stages by Muslim Brotherhood members in support of ousted President Mohamed Morsi.
More than 1,050 artifacts spanning 3,500 years of history were looted from the highlighting the fragile security situation in the provinces and the threat the latest unrest poses to the nation’s treasure trove of antiques and manmade marvels.
“The inauguration of the museum is a clear message to the whole world that Egypt will not bow to terrorism and those who are trying to destroy its archaeological heritage and civilization,” Enany said during the inauguration ceremony.
Death toll among Egyptian pilgrims rises to 58
The death toll among Egyptian pilgrims has climbed to 58, of the Egyptian Hajj mission Sayed Maher was quoted by Youm7 on Thursday.
All the cases died of natural causes, including heat exhaustion, high blood pressure and hypertension, he said.
All of the deceased have been buried in Saudi Arabia, he added.
Migrants tell of clamour to survive as teeming boat sinks off Egypt
(Reuters) – Mohamed Mabrouk hoped to sail from Egypt to a better future in Europe. But just before sunrise on Wednesday, the teen called his uncle in a panic as the boat carrying him and hundreds more migrants across the Mediterranean was overwhelmed by water.
Saeed Abu Hamed, 37, was asleep at home when his phone rang. He recalls hearing the anguished voice of his nephew repeating: “Uncle help me! Uncle help me! People are dying around me, the boat is sinking, water is coming in from all sides.”
“I heard people screaming ‘help us’ in the background. It was horrifying. I don’t know how I will be able to forget this,” he told Reuters.
Mabrouk was one of about 169 people to survive.
About 52 bodies have been recovered so far, but security officials said almost 600 people may have been squeezed aboard the wooden vessel, suggesting hundreds more may have perished in what is just the latest disaster for migrants desperate to reach Europe.
More and more people have been trying to cross to Italy from the African coast over the summer months, particularly from Libya, where people-traffickers operate with relative impunity.
But Egypt has come under closer scrutiny this year because a growing number of migrants from sub-Saharan Africa are using it as an alternative route. Those on the boat that sank included people from Sudan, Ethiopia and Eritrea, as well as Egyptians.
One survivor said the vessel had waited for two days at sea so the smugglers could squeeze more migrants on board before heading north. But as they climbed in, the boat began to capsize. Panic spread as the boat tilted, casting people overboard.
Death toll of capsized boat with 600 unregistered migrants rises to 42 people
Death toll of a boat carrying about 600 unregistered migrants capsized off Egypt’s Mediterranean city of Kafr el Sheikh on Wednesday rose to 42 people, Youm7 reported.
The boat had set sail to Italy from the Kafr el Sheikh’s town of Rosetta, 30 kilometers south of Alexandria, security source told Youm7.
The Egyptian authorities deployed search teams in search for more survivors from the incident which is the biggest operation of illegal immigration in the city.
Egyptian security forces released a total of 160 migrants and kept four others were kept in custody pending investigations.
More than 10,000 people have died crossing the Mediterranean to Europe since 2014, according to the UN.
The military has previously announced arresting hundreds of people over illegal immigration at Egypt’s different borders, which have witnessed heightened security measures to curb the illegal practice.
UNWTO delegation arrives in Egypt
A delegation from the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) arrived in the Cairo International Airport on Wednesday to promote tourism in Egypt, Youm7 reported.
Upper Egypt’s city of Luxor will host the celebration of the World Tourism Day soon.
Hot wave to relent on Friday: EMA
Forecasters have expected high temperature will gradually decrease, starting on Friday, said Egyptian Meteorological Authority (EMA) chairperson Ahmed Abdel Aal on Thursday.
A two-day hot wave has hit Egypt on Tuesday as temperature reached in Cairo to highs of 38° and lows of 24°.
Official forecast authority said that Cairo temperature will relent by 6 degrees across the country to record 33°.
2 injured in cracking of 3 buildings in Alexandria
Two people were injured in partial collapse of three buildings in Alexandria Thursday, Youm7 reported. The two men age 20 and 40 years old.
Poor construction and lack of maintenance have also reportedly caused several collapses over the past months, especially in Upper Egypt’s impoverished villages where buildings are usually made of mud bricks and roofed by palm fronds.
Between July 2012 and June 2013, 392 residential buildings collapsed, resulting in 192 deaths, according to a survey by the Egyptian Initiatives for Personal Rights (EIPR.)