CAIRO: No more browsing from site to site, view the top local news stories on Oct.25 here:
Sisi inaugurates 1st national youth conf. with minute of silence over “terrorism victims”
President Abdel Fatah al Sisi on Tuesday asked the gathering attending the opening of the 1st National Youth Conference to observe a minute of silence in mourning of the terrorism victims.
The move comes after senior officer in the Egyptian Armed Forces has been shot dead in front of his house north of Cairo Saturday. It also comes a few days after 12 security personnel have been killed and six wounded in an attack on a checkpoint in North Sinai province on Oct. 14.
“The conference represents a bridge for the Egyptian youth to cross into a future they deserve,” said Sisi, adding that the conference will be officially held on annual basis in November.
During the three-day conference, more than 3000 Egyptian youth will take part in an open dialogue with policy makers and public figures and experts, who will be contributing as participants, speakers or moderators in almost 24 public sessions.
Youth will share their views on how to enhance Egypt’s political, economic and social equality, sports minister Khaled Abdel Aziz said.
During celebrations held in January to mark the National Youth Day,Sisi declared a new decree calling 2016 The Year of Youth, announcing a variety of changes that will supposedly help youth develop promising futures.
Egypt’s seized artifacts go on display at Egyptian Museum
Antiquities Minister Khaled el Anany on Monday inaugurated at the Egyptian Museum a temporary exhibit of over 400 archaeological artifacts seized by before they were smuggled abroad, Youm7 reported.
The exhibit shows 425 artifacts that have been seized by the ministry’s Central Administration for Archaeological Units at the Egyptian ports, said Anany.
“The pieces on display are a small part of artifacts retrieved by the administration over the past 30 years,” he added.
The artifacts include Jewish antiquities, Christian icons, Islamic artifacts, pharaonic relics and objects of Greek and Roman origin, according to Anany.
Egypt’s political turmoil since the January 25 Revolution in 2011 and its consequent security lapse left the country’s cultural heritage vulnerable to looting.
During the past four years, Egypt has recovered more than 1,600 artifacts and is currently working on other cases in many European countries, former head of the Repatriated Artifacts Department Aly Ahmed previously told The Cairo Post.
Court says has “no jurisdiction” to rule on lawsuit demanding dismissal of education min.
Egypt’s High Administrative Court on Tuesday said it “lacks jurisdiction” to rule on a lawsuit demanding the dismissal of Education Minister Helaly al Sherbiny over recent leaks of high school exam papers, Youm7 reported.
The lawsuit was filed by Lawyer Samir Sabry, who demanded that Parliament Speaker Ali Abdel Aal to call for an “urgent session” to discuss dismissal of Sherbiny.
“The minister should have resigned as the leak indicates the failure of the education minister,” said Sabry.
Several exam papers and answers of Egypt’s nationwide Thanawya Amma (General Secondary Certificate) were leaked online last June.
He added that the Ministry of Education spokesperson Basheer Hassan has admitted the leak of the Arabic exam papers was from inside the printing houses assigned by the ministry.
Papers of the Arabic language exam questions and answers were leaked online 45 minutes after it started.
Egypt has seized 9,000 tons of sugar in raids so far
(Reuters)-Egypt has seized 9,000 tons of sugar in recent raids on factories and warehouses, the prime minister said on Monday, describing the move as necessary to deal with a shortage of the commodity.
Sugar has all but vanished from supermarkets, prompting media talk of a crisis and pushing the state to rapidly increase imports despite an acute dollar shortage and soaring global prices of the sweetener.
Egyptian authorities have raided sugar factories and distributors in recent days as they blamed traders and suppliers for hoarding and smuggling supplies.
Prime Minister Sherif Ismail told Egypt’s CBC channel in an interview that the raids have had a “positive impact” and sugar stocks were enough to cover the country for three months.
“There are some negative points that we are dealing with but they were a limited number of cases,” he said. “We can’t leave the market without supervision. … Monitoring is necessary.”
Edita Food Industries, Egypt’s maker of Twinkies, said on Monday its sweet factory in Beni Suef had been shut for three days after authorities seized its sugar.
Italy to operate 11 direct flights to Egypt: Ambassador
An agreement was reached with in Italian businessman to operate 11 direct flights from a number of Italian cities to Egypt’s resort of Sharm al Sheikh, Egyptian Ambassador to Italy Amr Helmy was quoted by Youm7 on Tuesday.
Italian tour operators, media figures and officials will be invited to visit Egypt to review safety measures taken by the Egyptian authorities in the Red Sea resort, Helmy said.
The first flight will take off from Milan, he added.
Egypt’s tourism sector, which represents 11 percent of the country’s GDP, has been suffering from ongoing shocks ever since the 2011 uprising that toppled Hosni Mubarak.
The number of tourists visiting Egypt in March 2016 decreased by 47.2 percent compared to the same month last year, according to the Central Agency for Public Mobilization and Statistics (CAPMAS,) Egypt’s official statistical agency.