UPDATE: Egypt’s Politics digest Nov.6: Egypt condemns terrorist attacks in Iraq’s Tikrit, Samarra
Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Ahmed Abu Zeid. YOUM7 (archive)
By

 

CAIRO: No more browsing from site to site, view the top politics news stories on Nov.6 here:

Egypt condemns terrorist attacks in Iraq’s Tikrit, Samarra

The Egyptian Foreign Ministry has condemned the terrorist attacks that took place Sunday in the Iraqi cities of Tikrit and Samarra.

In a press release issued Sunday, foreign ministry spokesperson Ahmed Abu Zeid expressed condolences and support for the families of the victims, the Iraqi people and government, saying that the recent terror attack “confirms that terrorism is a global phenomenon requires consolidation of all efforts.”

Suicide bombers have used explosives-laden ambulances to kill at least 21 people and wound many others in the Iraqi cities of Tikrit and Samarra.

One of the explosions targeted a security checkpoint in Tikrit.

The Islamic State (IS) group claimed responsibility for both attacks.

“Egypt maintains its position against terrorism, which terrifies innocent people and spreads chaos,” he said.

 

US embassy in Cairo offers $50k aid to flood victims

The US Embassy in Cairo provided 50,000 dollars to the Egyptian Red Crescent to help those affected by recent flooding and torrential rains in Egypt.

In a press release issued Sunday, the embassy said that beside these funds, the US provided “six vacuum trucks to the Assiut Potable Water and Sanitation Company to improve sanitation in rural villages,” according to the statement.

The American people express our deepest condolences to the families of the deceased and wish the injured a speedy recovery, the statement read.

A total of 24 people have been killed and dozens injured as a result of torrential rain and flooding in Egypt last week.

A medical convoy of the Ministry of Interior has examined 2,300 citizens affected by floods in the Upper Egyptian governorate of Sohag on Sunday, Youm7 reported.

President Abdel Fatah al Sisi has ordered the allocation of 50 million EGP to compensate those harmed by flooding, in addition to another 50 million EGP to improve the efficiency of basic infrastructure in places hit by flooding.

 

Retrial of ‘Rabaa operation room’ case adjourned to Dec. 3

The Giza Criminal Court on Sunday adjourned to December 3 the retrial of Muslim Brotherhood Supreme Guide Mohammad Badie and other 36 codefendants in the case known as “Rabaa Operation Room,” Youm7 reported.

The defendants accused of establishing an operation room to confront the state and spread chaos following the dispersal of two Brotherhood sit-ins at Rabaa al-Adaweya and Nahda Square in August 2013.

In April, the Cairo Criminal Court handed Badie and 13 others death sentences and 26 others received life imprisonment over the said charges before the Court of Cassation accepted the appeals and ordered retrial.

 

Gov’t considers new strategy to protect judges after recent attack

A new strategy is being set by the Ministry of Justice aiming to protect judges from terrorist attacks, after a recent hit Cairo few days ago, an anonymous judicial source told Youm7.

A Friday car bomb attack targeted a judge in Cairo’s Nasr City district has not resulted in casualties; however, it raised judiciary authorities’ attention to consider heightening security measures for judges.

The attack was claimed to be an act of revenge on Judge Ahmed Abu el-Fathouh, who is presiding in Muslim Brotherhood lawsuits.

 

Parliament considering 300 complaints to pardon jailed youth

Parliamentary committee for human rights affairs is considering 300 complaints demanding pardon to jailed youth, Youm7 reported.

The move came in application to recommendations by President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi during a Youth conference held by the end of the last month.

On the other hand, the National Council for Human Rights (NCHR) said that it has received 600 names of imprisoned youth, including journalists and political activists.

 

Rafah border opens Sunday for Palestinian businessmen delegation

Rafah border was opened exceptionally on Sunday for a Palestinian businessmen delegation to cross into the Egyptian side to attend a conference held in Ain Sokhna.

The 120-person delegation will be transported from Rafah border to the conference location under tight security measures, Youm7 reported.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment