CAIRO: No more browsing from site to site, view the top local news stories on Nov. 11 here:
Sadat Metro station closed Friday amid calls to stage anti-government protest
The Sadat Metro station, located beneath the iconic Tahrir Square, is closed on Friday amid calls for anti-government protest against deteriorating economic conditions, state news agency MENA reported.
Spokesperson for the metro authority Ahmed Abdel Hady said that the closure comes as per request from security authorities.
A little-known group named Haraket Ghalaba (Movement of the Poor) has called online for Egyptians to protest on Nov. 11 against rising prices and deepening austerity.
Intensive security measures were taken in Tahrir Square and elsewhere in Cairo and several governorates early Friday in the wake of the calls, the interior ministry announced in a statement Thursday.
Following the 2011 uprising, the station has been closed for several times.
The station was also closed for almost two years following the dispersal of the pro-Muslim brotherhood sit-ins in August 2013. It re-opened in June 2015.
Egyptian fishermen barred in Saudi Arabia following financial dispute with employers
At least 32 Egyptian fishermen have been barred from leaving the Saudi Arabia for more than six months following a financial dispute with their Saudi “Kafeel”, or employer, Al Akhbar reported Thursday.
During a phone call with the Egyptian Minister of Immigration Nabila Makram, the employer insisted on financial compensation payback from the fishermen in return for the losses incurred as a result of their strike.
The fishermen have staged a sit-in outside the Egyptian embassy in Riyadh after their employer allegedly violated an “oral agreement,” which stated they would receive a percentage of profit and has not provided “suitable housing for them,” according to Makram.
In a Wednesday statement, the minister said she has contacted the employer and the Saudi concerned authorities in an attempt to resolve the problem.
9 militants killed in Egypt’s Sinai security raids
Security forces killed nine militants in military raid in North Sinai as part of the comprehensive “Operation Martyr’s Right” that aimed at uprooting terrorism in Sinai, military spokesperson Mohamed Samir announced in a statement Thursday.
“The operations also defused 40 explosive devices and destroyed 43 hideouts of the terrorist elements,” said Samir.
The raid targeted hideouts of militants in North Sinai’s cities of Rafah, Arish and Sheikh Zuwayed, he added.
Over the past two days, similar raids in the northern part of the peninsula left 17 militants dead while the security forces ruined 57 explosive devices, according to Samir
Egypt has witnessed a significant rise in militancy since the military-backed ouster of Islamist President Mohamed Morsi in July 2013 following mass protests against his rule. According to the Interior Ministry, militant attacks have killed more than 500 security personnel since then.