UPDATE: Egypt’s local digest Nov. 13: Egypt maintains World Cup qualifications group lead after crucial win over main challengers Ghana
AS Roma winger Mohamed Salah scores Egypt's goal during clash with Ghana on the 2018 World Cup qualifiers game held in Alexandria Sunday Nov. 13. Youm7.
By

 

CAIRO: No more browsing from site to site, view the top local news stories on Nov. 13 here:

Egypt maintains World Cup qualifications group lead after 2-0 crucial win over main challengers Ghana

The Egyptian national football team boosted its chances for a long-awaited World Cup qualification after earning a 2-0 crucial victory over Ghana at Alexandria’s Borg al Arab Stadium on Sunday.

AS Roma winger Mohamed Salah scored Egypt’s first goal from a penalty kick three minutes before the end of the first half time while Al Ahly midfielder Abullah al Said scored the 2nd goal four minutes to the end.

The Pharaohs now lead Group E with six points, five ahead of main challengers Ghana.

The Black Stars remarkably denied the Pharaohs the 2014 World Cup ticket with an aggregate 7-3 qualifying play-off thrashing.

 

Name of Egyptian expat placed on memorial marking 1st anniv. of Bataclan massacre

The name of Egyptian citizen Salah Emad al Gebaly, who was killed in a terrorist attack on the French Bataclan Theater last year, was placed on a memorial outside the theater during a Sunday ceremony marking the first anniversary of the massacre, according to state news agency MENA.

Gebaly, 28, along with at people were killed and another 352 others wounded in a series of coordinated terror attacks occurred the same day last year at several locations around Paris, including the national soccer stadium, outside of restaurants and at a concert hall.

The attack also claimed life of Lamia Mondeguer, 30; a dual Egyptian-French national who was a communications manager at a Parisian talent agency. She was killed at a restaurant on rue de Charonne in Paris’ 11th arrondissement, a source close to Mondeguer’s family told independent publication Enterprise.

 

Sisi meets with woman seen pushing goods wagon in Alex.

President Abdel Fatah al Sisi met on Sunday the woman who was seen pushing a goods wagon in Alexandria, state news agency MENA reported, citing presidential statement.

During the meeting, Sisi voiced happiness for meeting Mona Badr, saying that he “appreciates her struggle and determination to provide a better life for her family.”

Sisi also invited her to attend the upcoming national conference for youths, and issued directives to help Badr in learning car driver in order to provide her a truck instead of the goods wagon.

 

“Royal House Servant” tomb unearthed in Luxor

The tomb of the “Servant of the Royal House” has been accidentally unearthed in Luxor, the antiquities ministry announced in a statement Sunday.

The tomb, which dates back to the Late Period (1,069B.C.-664B.C.), was found during excavation work carried out by a Spanish archaeological mission working at the “Temple of Millions of Years” of Pharaoh Thutmose III, located in the west bank of Luxor, according to Mahmoud Afifi, head of the Egyptian archaeology sector at the Ministry of Antiquities.

A coffin, containing a Cartonnage-made mummy was found inside the tomb, said Afifi, adding that the mummy is in a good state of preservation.

 

Funeral prayers held for Egypt’s prominent actor Mahmoud Abdel Aziz

Funeral prayers for Egyptian actor Mahmoud Abdel Aziz were held at Police Mosque in the Sixth of October City on Sunday.

Abdel Aziz, an iconic Egyptian actor that enriched the life with his great talent, died on Saturday at the age of 70 after a battle with illness. Member of the actors syndicate’s board Ehab Famy said he suffered from severe anemia and his health deteriorated rapidly in the days before his death.

A host of artists, media figures, politicians were present at the funeral prayer.

 

Egypt’s Navy rescues 33 people aboard yacht in Marsa Alam

Egypt’s Naval forces at the Red Sea saved on Sunday a tourist yacht with 33 persons on board after encountering technical problems, state news agency MENA reported.

The naval base in the Red Sea received a distress call from “Diving City” yacht after its engine broke down. Naval units rushed to the scene and evacuated 24 tourists and nine crew members who were on board.

The yacht was towed to the naval base for repairs.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment