Victims of collapsed building refuse ministry’s new apartments
Ibrahim Mahlab - YOUM7/Sami Waheb
By AHMED HASSAN

CAIRO: Former residents of a building that collapsed in the neighborhood of Faisal in Giza on Dec. 9 informed the Minister of Housing Ibrahim Mahlab on Friday of their refusal to move to 6thof October City, demanding instead that the ministry provide housing solutions in Faisal, where they work.

Residents told the minister they would prefer to wait a couple of days for the government to find them housing nearby, despite Mahlab’s promise to provide transportation to and from work, and his attempt to convince them to take the furnished apartments available at the moment.

The government is currently seeking available apartments in an existing building of Faisal, the rent of which will be supported by the government, said Giza Governor Ali Abdel Rahman.

Mahlab had instructed a building in 6thof October City to be prepared to accommodate 20 families.

The Arab Contractors company had been tasked with the charge of transferring families, their luggage and furniture to their new apartments, with the coordination of the Giza governorate and under the supervision of ministerial officials, to complete their housing procedures by Saturday, he said.

Originally published in Youm7.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment