Al-Gomhuria
Al-Gomhuria logo

Arabic: الجمهورية

Type: state-run newspaper

Established: 1954

Al-Gomhuria (“The Republic) is a daily Arabic newspaper established by the government of the 1952 Revolution as its mouthpiece. Its headquarters are in Cairo.

Al-Gomhuria was founded under the supervision of former president Anwar Sadat upon request of then-President Gamal Abdel Nasser, who asked Sadat to issue a newspaper which would be the mouthpiece of the Revolution.

Sadat was Al-Gomhuria’s first general manager and chairman of the board. He wrote a one-and-a-half page article for the first issue, published in December 1954.

Al-Gomhuria is one of the main state newspapers in Egypt. It prints daily and weekly Arabic editions.

It is now part of the Dar el-Tahrir conglomeration, which includes Al-Gomhuria, Al-Mesaa newspaper, Aqedati magazine, English-language newspaper the Egyptian Gazette, French-language newspaper Le Progres Egyptien, and others.

Recommend to friends

Leave a comment