CAIRO: The Ministry of Antiquities launched a fundraising campaign to finance the restoration of antiquities, buildings, and monuments damaged in the wake of the January 25 Revolution, Minister of Antiquities Mohamed Ibrahim announced on Thursday.
The Ministry opened an account to receive donations from within Egypt and abroad. The ‘Fund for saving Egyptian Heritage’ aims to finance renovation projects for artifacts, museums and historic buildings that have been damaged or neglected.
Ibrahim said that the fund is the result of successful collaboration between stakeholders, including governmental and civic bodies, seeking to protect Egyptian heritage.
Head of the funding department at the Antiquities Ministry, Major General Mohamed Samy, said that the world renowned Islamic Art Museum, damaged in a blast targeting the Cairo Security Directorate last month, would have priority in the allocation of restoration funds.
A USAID delegation visited the Islamic Art Museum a few days after the blast and pledged aid to repair the building. The delegation agreed to an amount based on the report of a UNESCO team that inspected the damage.
Originally published in Youm7.