CAIRO: Saudi Arabian authorities seized a fishing boat with 35 men crew on board after entering Saudi waters from the north, Bakry Abul Hassan, the leader of fishermen in Suez said in a press statement on Friday.
Border guards had fired at the boat causing a fire, which caught their fishing equipment. The fishermen were able to get rid of their nets to contain the fire.
They are accused of trespassing.
Thursday, a similar incident occurred, when 66 crew members and two boats were seized, while one fisherman was killed by Saudi border guards. His body has not been delivered to Egypt yet.
Adel Alfi, Egypt’s consul in Jeddah, had said Monday that Saudi authorities agreed to release 61 Egyptian fishermen, MENA reported on Thursday. “Four other fishermen are still detained pending investigations into their trespassing into Saudi territorial water earlier this month,” Alfi said.
Additional reporting by Mohamed Kamal.