CAIRO: The Independent Union of Public Transport opposes any accusations against laborers or any attempts to break their unity, union member Tareq el-Beheiry said Sunday.
Beheiry responded to comments of the head of the Cairo public transportation body, Hisham Atiya, who had said earlier that losses caused due to the ongoing strike reached about four million EGP ($575,000.) The worked started their strike four days ago, demanding to apply the minimum wage.
“Talking about losses of the public transportation over four days does not make any sense compared to losses of the railroad body that was stopped for seven months,” said Beheiry during the laborers conference held on Sunday.
He also said that businessmen cannot bribe laborers as they are not planning to stop their strike. Laborers are builders of the country, not criminals or destroyers of Egypt, he added.
Beheiry further demanded Mahlab’s cabinet not to lean towards businessmen or be unfair to laborers. He also warned the Cabinet from directing false accusations towards them like the regime of former President Hosni Mubarak used to do.
Originally published in Youm7.