CAIRO: At least 632 were killed during the dispersal of the Rabaa al-Adaweya sit-in, claimed a report issued by the fact-finding committee of the National Council of Human Rights on Wednesday.
The report further claims that Nasr City prosecution issued a decision to disperse the sit-in after receiving complaints from the residents of Rabaa al-Adaweya, adding that the forces began dispersing the sit-in after giving the protesters 25 minutes to evaquate the square, which was not enough time.
In the later hours of the square clashes increased after armed assailants shot a police officer holding a megaphone, said the report. The officer died from his wounds, which lead to heated clashes.
The dispersal of Rabaa al-Adaweya took place under the supervision of security forces affiliated with the Ministry of Interior, according to a plan set forth by the ministry.
The report further states that the sit-in was initially peaceful, but things changed when armed assailants were allowed to enter the square. NCHR said the state failed to secure a safe exit for protesters due to clashes that erupted between security forces and those participating in the sit-in.
Clashes resulted in the death of paramedics, which prevented ambulances from entering the square, said the report.
In response to the sit-in’s dispersal, clashes erupted in 22 other governorates.
The report claims the sit-ins were organized by the Muslim Brotherhood and Gamaa Islamiyya, and were later joined by other Islamist parties with the notable exception of the Nour Party, which announced it would not participate in any demonstrations.
The dispersal came two weeks later on Aug. 14 when police, aided by the military, moved to clear the sit-ins. Police offered the protesters a safe exit from the sit-ins and interim President Adly Mansour promised earlier that protesters would not be pursued unless they broke the law.
On Sep. 28, 2013, the Cabinet permitted NCHR to collect and record data from the events that followed Morsi’s ouster. On Dec. 22, interim President Adly Mansour issued a presidential decree to form an independent fact-finding committee tasked with compiling and documenting information and evidence of violent clashes that took place since June 30.
NCHR member George Isaac said on Feb. 14, during a meeting with the independent fact-finding commission charged with investigating the events of June 30, that NCHR will issue its investigation report regarding the circumstances accompanying the dispersal of the Muslim Brotherhood sit-ins at Nahda and Rabaa al-Adaweya Squares.
Originally published in Youm7.